Welcome to our website
Through our website we hope to bring to everyone the information gathered together about the village of Tharston in Norfolk. It has a very varied past and it is our intention to show the village through it's history of the area, the buildings and of the residents and the trades they were involved in.
Please note that we are a newly formed group and would welcome constructive comments of critism or acclaim, offers of help and information on sources of interest. We would especially like to hear from anyone from abroad who has a connection with Tharston. Please make contact using the Contact form.
If you have already registered and been accepted as a member please sign in (below on right) to gain access to restricted areas. If you would like to have access to the members' area and to the Society's documentation please create a new account and, if agreed, access will be granted.
Next Open Meeting - Wednesday, 26th March 2014
The next open meeting is on 26th March 2014 at Picton Farm meeting room starting at 7:30p.m. The topic for the meeting is local families and the content will be finalised nearer the time. Currently we know we will be looking at the Duffield family, the methods used to start the research into the family using the internet and some family members' stories.
Anyone interested in Tharston and the surrounding area is most welcome. Entrance is free but there is a collection to help with expenses. (Perhaps this could give insights into what may be available for other villages.)
If you are interested and will be joining us please contact us so we have some idea of numbers.
Last meeting ...
Our January meeting was a talk by Elizabeth Budd about documents relating to Tharston - BRILLIANT! Our thanks go to Elizabeth who provided a considerable amount of information delivered in her usual excellent manner with many local and personal references which greatly added to the interest.
What's new in the last month or so ...
(Most recent first)
- 7th March 2014 - Duffield Family - more information on the Duffield family tree and pictures added to the Duffield and Fuller memorials.
- 28th February 2014 - Parish Records - A finalised version of Tharston burials for 1813 to 1934 with cross reference to memorials in St. Mary's churchyard.
- 19th February 2014 - Local Families - The beginnings of a project on the Duffield family
- 16th February 2014 - Resources - List of very useful web-based resources for family and local history researching.
17th January 2014 - Nearby - A new section relating to historical information 'nearby' to Tharston, the first addition being Old Buckenham Airfield.
- 5th December 2013 - Cindi's List - The THS website is a new entry in this world renowned list of historical resources, mainly genealogy.
Tharston History Society - Forum
Community discusion group of society members
There is a forum that is being used to share information. It is found at:
Please use this to exchange ideas and information that may be of interest to members or to others in general.
Hover over an image on the 35mm strip to see which section
it applies to and then click if you wish to go there.