Welcome to our website
Through our website we hope to bring to everyone the information gathered together about the village of Tharston in Norfolk. It has a very varied past and it is our intention to show the village through it's history of the area, the buildings and of the residents and the trades they were involved in.
Please note that we are a relatively new group and would welcome constructive comments of critism or acclaim, offers of help and information on sources of interest. We would especially like to hear from anyone from abroad who has a connection with Tharston. Please make contact using the Contact form.
|If you have already registered and been accepted as a member please sign in (below on right) to inform us of your visit. The members' area, which this registration gave access to has been removed as it was not being looked at or used. If we find it necessary to replace it at any time we will do so. If you have any thoughts on this please let us know.|
Local Great War events
With the Great War centenary events imminent, below are listed those we know about:
- Norfolk Tank Museum in Forncett - military verhicles (16th & 17th August 2014) and much more, including a "Hanger Dance" (Saturday 16th August at 7pm). For more details please visit their website.
If you are aware of anything which could be advertised here please let me know.
Next Open Meeting - Wednesday, 30th July 2014 - THS Activities
The next open meeting is on 30th July 2014 at Picton Farm meeting room starting at 7:30p.m. The topic for the meeting will be activities that THS members have been involved in, which will, no doubt, have references to the Lime Kiln Project, the website and the information it contains and military research into the Roll of Honour and its updating in light of soldiers missing from the existing list.
Anyone interested in Tharston and the surrounding area is most welcome. Entrance is free but there is a collection to help with expenses. (Perhaps this meeting could give insights into what may be available for other villages.)
If you are interested and will be joining us please contact us so we have some idea of numbers.
Last open meeting ...
Our May open meeting was a talk given by Graeme Simmonds who is a very enthusiastic amateur archaeologist and metal detectorist. He brought along a mass of items found around Norfolk including many quite local to Tharston. Those present were treated to a special insight into the world that can be discovered from amateur archaeology and field walking. We were able to handle many of these which brought a real feeling of the past brought to life. It is hoped that Graeme will arrange for himself and some of his colleagues to explore a part of Tharston with the help/hinderance of THS members - many of us looking forward to that!
Full calendar of events ...
A separate page of all events for 2014/2015 is available here.
What's new in the last month or so ...
(Most recent first)
- 21st July 2014 - Marriages - a complete list of marriages covering 1754 - 1923
- 13th July 2014 - Marriage Banns - Further list of Tharston marriage banns, 1894 - 1946.
- 13th July 2014 - Baptisms - Further amendments to the transcription of Tharston baptisms, now almost complete from 1731 onwards.
- 31st May 2014 - As It Is Now - Tharston in pictures in 2014, accessed by clicking on locations on a parish map. Currently there are over 40 photographs and the number is growing.
- 14th May 2014 - Electoral Rolls - Transcribed electoral rolls now available. Some interesting entries showing who owned properties in the village.
- 2nd May 2014 - Baptisms - Transcription of the baptisms listed in St. Mary's Church for 1918 to date.
- 20th April 2014 - Trade Directories - Now twelve directory transcriptions from 1854 to 1912.
- 29th March 2014 - Lloyd Family - The Lloyd family and their tragedies - a story no-one seems to have previously heard about.
- 22nd March 2014 - History Calendar - A new section summarising all the known dates of events happening in Tharston, including births, baptisms, marriages and burials, arranged in chronological order.
- 7th March 2014 - Duffield Family - More information on the Duffield family tree and pictures added to the Duffield and Fuller memorials.
Hover over an image on the 35mm strip to see which section
it applies to and then click if you wish to go there.